Thursday, March 26, 2009

Popovers anyone?

But first, a costume change. Kateri found an old pink baby coat and hat, actually made by my sister for Audrey, and decided she needed to wear them with her fairy wings. Because, according to her, fairies wear pink. I'm not entirely sure what her look means. She's keeping it a secret. It must have been a busy fairy day as she is really dragging wings. The elastic has gotten stretched a bit.

Of course, Tiri had to make something else today. because we still have eggs. So I looked up a recipe in the Simply Classics cookbook and we decided to make popovers to go with dinner. She was pretty thrilled. She cracked the eggs herself while I oiled and got the muffin pan heating. We poured the batter in, and 20 min later,



We had these. Tempted? I'm not entirely sure what went wrong. You basically make the batter for dutch babies, although the recipe calls for fewer eggs, and then add chives. We did also add some Parmesan for flavor. It said to gently pierce them with a knife after you took them out of the oven to keep them from falling. There was no chance of these sturdy muffins going anywhere. The tops were hard as cement. They softened slightly when I put butter on them.



But not so much as to make them hard to resist. Pippin and Tiri said they were tasty. I ate one top just for show. I'm not sure why the recipe called for oil instead of butter. That's what you use for dutch babies. I think with a little variation they could be tasty. Could be.

Just to end on a tasty note , the recipe for Dutch Babies, which we all love, is:


Place 1/2 stick butter in 9x13 baking dish. Place in oven and preheat to 425 degrees.

While the butter melts mix in blender

6 eggs
1c flour
1c milk
Blend for several minutes- the longer you blend it the fluffier it gets.
Pour into prepared pan and bake 10-15 min until puffy.
Serve with powdered sugar and lemon wedges.






I have to go see if I can remove the bottoms of the popovers from the muffin pan now.


No comments: