Monday, January 18, 2010

My Next Act of Heresy







This was not one of my resolutions, but it seemed like a good idea. We actually had switched accidentally to decaf for awhile. Neither of us noticed. When we started on our new routine, I thought it might be good to go back to regular beans. But then, as I am supposed to drink and extra 54 oz of water a day for my medication, meaning I also had to get rid of the excess water every day, I thought it might be good to not have caffeine messing with my hydration and decided after my first cup of regular, I'd switch to decaf the rest of the day. I used to laugh at decaf coffee. It was neutered. Like vodka without the alcohol. But I used to be able to spell too.

I decided to start using my crockpot more too. It is nice to throw some things in in the morning, and have dinner ready when Shane gets home. Especially on days when we have activities during the day. On Mondays the big kids have art lessons at 9:00. Right from there we go to the horse lady's house where Audrey and Cyril help take care of 5 miniature horses and Kateri and Pippin chase chickens. Which means we don't even get to math and reading until 2:00. So it is extra nice to throw a chicken and some spices in at 7:00am and have it all done around 3pm. Today was my first time doing a whole chicken. I used some black beans, canned tomatoes, onions, green onions, and some taco seasonings. Then I picked all the meat off and we had it in bowls with sour cream and cheddar cheese and toasted tortillas. It was pretty tasty, though Cyril was bummed there was no crispy skin.


This was a beef brisket. It was good, though a little on the spicy side. I only used 3/4 of the pepper, but it was just fine. I'm glad I didn't  try for the two the recipe called for. It was pretty tasty, espicially with the fresh cilantro. I might like to try another cut of meat next time, maybe pork. I couldn't find the right sized brisket so had to get one that was packaged for corned beef. I didn't add the spice pack it came with, but the meat  come out a different texture than I was expecting. The sauce was really tasty though.


I would like to try more recipes. Let me know if you have any you've tried and liked.

And I do apologize, I'm still trying to locate the spell check

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

Nani, I LOVE putting beef in (any kind of roast OR brisket, for that matter) with a bottle of Guinness and some brown sugar. It turns out WONDERFULLY!!! I use my crockpot on occasion but I should use it more. I do have some good ideas/"recipes" that I'll send to you! :-)

Nurse Neagle said...

I'm a friend of Kayleen's and enjoy your blog. For me, my spell check is located on the google toolbar I have on my browser. I believe blogger is working on adding it to the new editor. If you aren't too attached to the new editor, you can change back to the old editor pretty easily.

Go to Settings>Scroll down to the bottom>Under Global Settings Click the circle in front of Old editor.

Before I found the spell check in my Google toolbar, I would switch back and forth just to spell check. Hope that helps!

Briana nanimom@outlook.com said...

Thanks. Hopefully I can figure it out. I do like the other new features for pictures etc. If I get this figured out. Thanks again.