Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Fourth of July Festivities

We had a fantastic Fourth, complete with lots of fireworks, family, food, and some other extras.
The Boys set of some daylight fireworks for the kids before dinner. The kids loved scrambling to catch the falling parachutes. Unfortunately, we didn't think ahead and let them out by age- the kids. Or set a quota on how many you could catch. With about 15 kids all running, there were a few skirmishes and skinned knees and not everyone got to go home with a parachute. Lesson learned for next year.
The big boys made some home made fireworks lit them off, and then ran for cover, laughing and giddy from the excitement.


Our BBQ is not working, but luckily I had found a recipe for slow roasted spare ribs. They cooked in the oven for about 3 1/2 hrs. Then you wrap them in tin foil and put them in a paper bag to rest for another hour. We were pretty hungry by the time they were done.



Cyprian ate 4 ribs and 2 ears of corn.



The little boys had fun burning leftover left over fireworks and wrappers with their sparklers. That is until a self-appointed Smokey the Bear came over with a hose. Adults these days!
So now we are enjoying a visit from some cousins and unfortunately cooler weather. It was incredibly warm on the 4th, which is rare around here.
I'm back to wood working and watching my back.
The other day Kateri stated that she was going to marry Papa. We discussed the obvious obstacles there but she was undaunted. Shane pointed out he is already married to me and you can only be married to one person at a time.
"What if Mama dies?" she asked. Then turned and gave me rabid furry critter look. Complete with claws, teeth, and a snarl. Of course we all laughed. However, the next day I was doing the dishes and Kateri came in and held up her hand to show me a bug she caught.
"That's a cute little, beetle" I said guessing at the little ball with squirming legs she was holding.
"It's a fly" she corrected me. "I pulled off his wings."
"Oh. That wasn't very nice. Well, take it outside."
"Ok" she said smiling and heading out the door. "I'm going to put him in the pool now."
Later I watched as she finished the water boarding treatment and then disposed of the carcass. In the garbage can.
So yes. I am definitely watching my back.






No comments: