Thursday, November 15, 2007

Beaujolais Nouveau

Today is the third Thursday of November, when they release the Beaujolais Nouveau for the year. Last year we had a fun time with the George Debouef we tried and I was hoping for a similar experience this year . Unfortuantely, we were both pretty disappointed. It was advertised as "fruity", which I guess was somewhat true just not necessarily desireable in this one. I told Shane it smelled like a banana popsicle and he looked skeptical. Then we tried it. It tasted like a watery banana popsicle. Luckily I had also gotten a Root 1, which is becoming our standard lately, so we quickly switched bottles. It was too bad. The 2006 really was a good time.

I had made a nice meal to go with it that turned out mostly better than our first wine. I made lamb shank with a mint-rosemary sauce ( it was from Costco) which turned out to not have too much mutton flavor-bad for Shane- but had some - bad for me. I'm not a huge fan of it but Shane has recollections of some tasty little lambs from his Ireland trips. I remember the lamb stew our neighbor from England used to make for us. I remember how the smell of the meat permeated the fridge. This one definitely smelled real but tasted a little beefy.

I also made a butternut squash soup. The last time we were at Girardi's I asked if the chef would give out the recipe for it. He came out later and told me how he made it. I didn't have heavy cream- it has half and half and heavy cream- so it wasn't as rich but was still good and once I add the cream I think we can be quite content staying home for a bowl. And a bottle of Root.

No comments: