Sunday, February 27, 2011

Creamed Corn Brulee

So after the last post about Austin, I started craving the corn brulee we'd had and researched some recipes. Basically they all called for the same basic ingredients: cream, sugar, corn, and egg. This one was similar to the Cooks Illustrated Creme Brulee, which was my favorite of the ones I tried. I was not disappointed, though I think I might cut down on the sugar in the custard next time.

This made 8 large- 10oz ramekins-brulees

2 ears corn kernels
2 Tablespoons butter
3 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 c whole milk
10 egg yolks
1 cup or less granulated sugar plus
coarse or granulated sugar for dusting tops


First, sautee 2 ears of corn kernels in some butter, until the kernels get golden and a little brown in places.

In a saucepan heat the milk, cream, and  half the kernels - you can save the other half for dividing amongst the ramekins before you pour in  the cream-egg mix. I decided not too and added all the kernels to the cream, but if you like more texture set them aside.Heat until just boiling, stirring constantly. I  sped up this part by heating  the milk and cream in  the microwave until almost boiling, then adding it and the corn to a saucepan and returning to a boil. It also helps limit the chance of burning the cream. Remove from heat and let sit for 15 min.

While it sits, beat the sugar and the egg yolks until creamy. Gradually add the cream-corn mixture.  The recipe called for pureeing the corn mixture before adding to the eggs. I forgot, and pureed the whole egg-cream-corn mix at once.


Set ramekins in large baking dish. Sprinkle kernels, if you saved them, into ramekins. Pour in the cream mixture. Add boiling waterta baking dish  about 2/3 way up the side of ramekins and bake for 30 -40 min.


Mine cooked  about 35 min or so. The center should still be a little jiggly. Cool, then cover with plastic wrap and set in fridge a couple hours so they can firm up. Remove and let sit uncovered for 30 min. Dust tops with a thin layer of sugar


Place under broiler until sugar it melted and carmel colored. Or for added fun, use a blow torch. I do have a small kitchen torch but was out of butane.
.



On our trip to Austin, I brought some books to read, as Shane would be working several days. I brought The SeaWolf, by Jack London. Which somehow I had managed not to have read before. My only regret was that I read another book first and did not start the SeaWolf until the last day. Then I was so engrossed I forgot lunch and didn't even notice when Shane pulled up to get me on the way to the airport. He was worried as I had told him I'd be waiting and had to park and go inside and look around. I was sitting just on the other side of a pillar, and being somewhere  on the high seas between San Francisco and Japan, didn't hear the rumbling Mustang or my cell phone when he called.  But at least I was very entertained for the plane trip home.


The wine was good, and luckily, did not anywhere near resemble the sailor swill that must have been passed around then. Though I'm not sure how much wine they would have taken. After I finished the book, a fellow passenger pointed out there was an article about Jack London in the inflight magazine. The character Wolf Larsen was actually based on a real captain Jack had sailed with.

No comments: