Thursday, May 27, 2010

Chicken Class

My mother-in-law and I took another cooking class. This time the theme was chicken, and just for fun the teacher threw in several rice dishes. I really liked the rice and her idea of making a big pot of brown rice at the beginning of the week, and having it on hand to add various other ingredients to to make nice side dishes. Without having to wait for the rice to cook. Shane was little less than thrilled when I told him about it. He generally does not like rice and is baffled as to why I still make the stuff. But, ususally if there is enough of a sauce he ends up eating it. Which encourages me to make it again. But I'm pretty sure he will like the new recipes.

This first one didn't have any rice. Just some chopped chicken with pasta and bleu cheese. She added some of the  the pasta water to it to make a sauce. For not having 1/2 and 1/2 or heavy cream, it was very rich. And creamy.


This one was baked chicken with feta and lemon. For the rice she sauteed shallots, zucchini, mushrooms, and chives.

This was pounded chicken breast with a mustard spread rolled around an asparagus spear and baked with a prosciutto wrap. For the rice she sauteed shallots, roasted cherry tomatoes,and  toasted pine nuts. I think this was my favorite rice. But they were all really good.

The finale was Vietnamese chicken skewers with sweet chili sauce. For this rice she added some warm coconut milk, toasted coconut, and lime zest. Plus a squeeze of lime juice.

I have not made the big pot of rice yet. Mostly because the kids have lost all my tupperware out in the yard. I suppose I could portion it in ziploc bags and freeze it. But I already washed the kitchen floor so I feel like one domestic project is enough for today. Although I did also go out slug hunting this morning. I'm comitted to keeping my tomaoes and strawberries safe. I think I might get some disposable gloves to help next time.

No comments: