Tuesday, August 28, 2012

No Pictures

It's not that I have not taken any, or have not downloaded them, so  much as I can't freaking find them once I do! Shane loves to "up-date"  the computers with the latest version of whatever and then I cannot find anything. It's called 'beta' for a reason. Because it is not ready for public consumption, they are still working out bugs. I don't want to be a  test user or guinea pig, and honestly, if it is not extremely intuitive and easy to use, I don't want it near my computer. And I am pretty sure they would not want my 'user feed back'. But Shane feels that newer is better and  that it is important to keep up with the changing technologies and all that. Or maybe he just really enjoys confusing the heck out of me. Either way, I did successfully download all the pictures from my phone, only to have them disappear somewhere in that scary black box called a computer. So no pictures. And there were some very lovely ones of our vacation last week too. But I will enjoy putting Shane on the trail of the lost pictures and seeing how he feels about the experience. And then I'll post some pictures.

Grandma and Grandpa offered to take  ALL of the kids to a fair and to visit cousins. For a week. After much thought and deliberations we said yes and put the kids with bags on the front porch. No, we did a proper send-off and farewell dinner, while also looking into things for us to do as well. Shane took the week off work and we explored our options. I was not sure how'd I'd be feeling (this was 4 weeks ago) and not sure what kind of travel I'd be up for. My midwife said flying would be fine and wrote me a letter, if we decided to go that route.

The more I thought about it, the more I wanted to stay closer to home. Shane had down to Cannon Beach, OR to explore some kite boarding beaches and liked it. So I booked a room there and a dinner at the cooking studio, EVOO. Then we thought we'd just play it by ear after that. Cannon Beach was great and we enjoyed being able to  walk on the beach, go out for coffee, and do whatever caught our fancy at that moment. Shane brought his kite gear, but the wind never presented an opportunity. Still, it was very relaxing and after two nights we felt ready to head out for something new and different. Something different being the desert.

The day before we checked out Shane suggested we head over  the mountains and visit some wineries. And then he suggested we stay the night. In a yurt. Which of course conjured up pictures in National Geographic of animal skin tents with livestock wandering around and into  your yurt. Which Shane would have liked. But being in the 'I need to go every 30 min and I can't sleep without five pillows and a fan and that goat better not eat my snack or he's shish-kebab' stage of pregnancy he offered something much more amenable. Air conditioning, electricity,  a real shower, a king size bed, even Wi-Fi. And rows and rows of grapes out your front door. Not to mention a restaurant, pool, and a view to die for  at the end of them. This was my kind of yurt.

My only regret was not eating enough on the drive there and  arriving very much worse for it. At dinner I really just wanted to lie down on the cold floor and sleep. Instead I managed to east some meat, then asked for a glass of 1/2 and 1/2 and a fruit basked to take back to our yurt with us. We really were not prepared to 'camp'. I had not even brought anything for swimming, which would have been very welcome in the desert heat, but not at the 65 or so degrees at the ocean so I had not packed anything. I think if we had prepared we would have stayed another night, but as it was, after breakfast and a wine tasting and feeling refreshed by the oasis that is Cave B, we headed over the mountains and home.

There were so many things we 'could' do and some that felt like we 'should' do. Knowing there is only about 6 1/2 weeks to go before baby arrives there was a little panicky feeling of what we wanted to get done, plus starting school next week as well. So in the end, we spent the time resting, reading, going to the movies, twice, and meeting up with friends for more wine tasting. Finally, the last day, we got serious. After going out for breakfast, we went to the bookstore to get Audrey's math book and picked up some biology and logic books as well. Then hurried home to organize some shelves and clean the house before picking up the kids.

And now this week I'll spend organizing the rest of the books, procuring the missing school supplies. And hopefully some napping.

No comments: